Monday, January 16, 2006

16 bit interface

Okay, I have a 16 bit program that runs on windows 2000 thru DOS. The program was originally written for a Tandy. Used for logging maintenance over a network. Here's the problem: I am unable to print out the data through a network connection mapped using UNC. The laser printer is connected to a central "server" computer via LPT1. I mapped to it through a router connection. The printer will print from Word, Excel, etc. It even prints from the 16 bit program, but the printout is garbled with various characters. One laptop, which was previously setup for this, successfully tells the printer to print out the correct characters. I can't find a difference. Both use Win 2k. I suspect it somehow converts the 16 bit data to work on a 32 bit printer. All other computers garble the data. Could this be a port issue? I can't seem to tweak any computer and can't find a difference in port settings. Is there a background program? I didn't check task manager. Does anyone remember what DOS is? I tried to print from DOS, but 2k is being a bitch. I wish we would upgrade our equipment! I'll buy a sixpack of your choice for the successful answer.

3 comments:

Phoenix said...

If you haven't done it already, you may need to delete/reinstall the printer and when it asks, "Allow DOS programs to use this printer," check the corresponding box and then try running it...

Fat American Ex-Coastie said...

I'll note that for the future. I managed to get 2 working by reinstalling the app and then someone found out I had the administrator password. Uh, guess I'm not supposed to do it...but then who else?(No local administrator) The admin in Indy? Might try that anyway when no one is looking:)Of course, I had to give myself administrator privileges just in case the real one ever forgot his pw.

Fat American Ex-Coastie said...

Fixed it. Had to dumb-down the printer. I guess the latest and greatest driver was great for anything 32 bit. So I told it to get retarded like the guy operating it and it shut up and behaved. See? Stupidity isn't all that bad after all. Dual driver now, and that seems to work as long as the other operators don't mess it up...I hate computers.