Saturday, November 12, 2005

Sir, always learning, Sir.

I have been in OKC for 4 weeks now. It's been boring at times and educational at other times. I have declined to go to the bars and even out for a long time. I did get over to Tinker AFB this veteran's day weekend and picked up a few things including a good tax-free bottle of the Wild Turkey. I declined the Military Special (5 bucks a gallon), but will make sure to pick up a couple gallons before heading back east to remember those honorable vets.
I eat and drink with mostly older guys who have been in the FAA for years. One guy, Gary, was in Air Traffic Control before Congress contracted his job out to Lockheed Martin thus screwing with his retirement. Gary is a born and raised Minn-ee-so-tan with the accent to match it. At 47 years old, this ex-marine can lift out in the gym with the best of the young guys. I try to keep up with him, although my back injury restrains me from lifting what this guy can. Gary has several ruptured vertebrae and still keeps going. I teach Gary Algebra and electronics theory in exchange for some good New Mexican chow(he's from Minnesota but lives in Albuquerqe). Martin, a hispanic/native american guy is here for his second school learning Unix, courtesy of the FAA. He has a home built from adobe, a wife and kids. Martin is also a former ATC controller.
They seem from different worlds. In the Coast Guard, you meet mostly people from the coasts. Its a refreshing note to see how others in different parts of this country live and think.
Well, I'm out. Gotta get up and read more tomorrow about radio comms.

No comments: